Thursday, October 30, 2008

Zack's Birth Story

I just realized that I never posted Zack's birth story, so here is the quick version lol

Mark and I went into the hospital at 5:30 to get gel put in. We were told we would stay for 1.5 hours then come home, and be back the next morning at 7. About 10 minutes after the gel was in I started having regular contractions. I was almost a 3 before the gel.

1.5 hours later I was still contracting and they were getting closer together and more painful. I was checked and was a 3 for sure, if not a tad more she said. She had us walk the halls to see if I was going to dilate anymore. We did that until 9pm, got checked again and was the same. We were given the option to go home or stay, but not be admitted for labor, just for monitoring.

I wanted to go home and labor at home so we did. I was up all night with contractions and got a total of 2 hours sleep. Got up for good at 6am, Mark called the hospital and they said come in at 7:30.

Came in was checked and was a 4. I was so disappointed, after an entire night of contractions that nothing had happened. My doc came in to break my water, but baby was way too high. So he put me on pitocin. I got that started at 8:30 and was doing fine with the contractions until 11:30. Zachary kicked me so hard that my water broke, thats when the real fun contractions came.

My doc came in again and said it should not be long now until delivery. I labored for about 40 minutes and the contractions were too strong so I asked for an epidural. Got that and it did not work. I could still walk, feel my legs and the entire contraction.

I got to around 3pm when I said I needed to push, I was checked and was only a 7-8 so of course they said no. At this point my doctor decided to turn off the epidural since it was not working and was just being wasted. 3:30 came and I again said I needed to push, was checked and was a 9 and doc said go again and try to push, you might able to push past it. Zack was still really high up, but I pushed anyway for another 30 minutes. Cervix still would not go away so doc told me to rest. Well, I couldn't. He left the room, so it was just the nurse, Mark and myself. I got on my side, then on my hand and knees, then my side again and pushed with everything I had. After about 40 minutes of this, I was exhausted and crying from frustration that I could not move this baby down. I was angry and mad. I did about 3-4 more pushes on my side and felt burning, told my nurse, she had me flip on my back and there was his head. She freaked out and called a code red to get my doc and more nurses in the room.

I could not stop pushing, the contractions were one on top of the other and the pain was intense! She was yelling at me to pant and I tried, but when you have to push you have to push. My doc made it in just in time and after a few more pushes out he came!

He peed 3 times and pooped before they weighed him.

Zack was 10 pounds 13oz and 22 inches long.

0 comments: